Life Choices and Teaching English Abroad



I once volunteered in Morocco in 2014 for a week with my school where I visited orphanages, homeless shelters and schools. For part of that trip, I took it upon myself to teach some English to the children in the schools. Having written a whole other blog post on this, I urge you to read it as I go into more detail on what I did and why I did it.

Being someone who's interested in teaching, a few weeks ago I asked myself why I wasn't doing anything that involves exactly that. Unfortunately, due to circumstances beyond my control, I lost my job and was unemployed so I decided to research teaching English abroad. As part of my Moroccan adventure, I did get to experience a bit of the Teaching English as a Foreign Language course (TEFL) and I knew that I wanted to complete this course at some point. 

When you're at a stage in your life whereby you have no idea on what to do, go with what you love. I love both teaching and learning and I had the opportunity to start a course involving both of these things. 'Be the change you wish to be in the world' is a quote very close to my heart and I've had it in the back of my mind for as long as I can remember so I went with it. 

Life isn't a road full of positivity, great choices and happy endings but it's up to you to be able to change that. Sometimes it's easier said than done but the minute you realise what's going to make you happy, that's the minute that you realise that all of your 'bad luck' may have actually been worth it.

TEFL offer a lot when it comes to which course works best for you. I decided on the 120 hour course which included 100 hours online and a 20 hour weekend (yes, 20 hours on a weekend). I chose to go with the weekend as I wanted hands on practice when it came to teaching English but if that doesn't work for you, you can do it purely online or have your practicals during the week.

At this moment in time, I've completed my 20 hour weekend which was so intense but definitely worth it. My teacher was so knowledgeable and made my fellow TEF students and I feel at ease throughout the weekend.
With my previous experience with learning about the English Language I'm currently finding some of the course easier than others but I'm still learning.

When at my weekend course, I heard a lot of stories about how students were planning on using their qualification and whereabouts in the world they would love to be using it. Sharing interests with a group of people meant that rapports were built so quickly and it made me so excited for my future.

Teaching English is a challenging but rewarding experience which takes you across the globe, teaches you about different cultures and makes you realise that you really can make a difference in people's lives. I'm so excited to complete my TEFL course and to be able to say that I'm a qualified TEFL teacher. 

I've written a blog post 'Travelling as a Life Goal' which is an in depth version about why I would love to go travelling and what difference travelling has made to my life up to this date. Having this qualification will support my urge to travel and utilise the skills I already have.

My biggest tip would be: do your research. Whatever it is that you choose to do, make sure that you think about it carefully but don't overthink, this will cause you to question your decision... you don't want that.

I booked a course that has made me so happy and will one day change my life. Find your version of my decision, make your own and be that change you want to see.

If you have any questions regarding TEFL, please do not hesitate to contact me and I'll be happy to answer.


To find out more about what TEFL offer and how to get involved, click here.



Comments

Popular Posts