My Two Years of A Levels



This post is going to be more of a chatty one as I've finished my A Levels and I'm super happy about this! I'm going to be talking you through what A Levels are, why I decided to do them, what subjects I took and how I feel now that I've finished.


What are A Levels?

For any of you who may be reading this and aren't familiar with what A Levels are, here's a quick explanation: A Levels are a type of qualification that you get where you can choose the subjects that you study. You study 3/4 subjects over a two year course- it requires tons of work in preparation for your exams. They're hugely academic and help gain you a place at university.

I decided to study A Levels after I finished school as I wasn't 100% sure on what I wanted to do career wise. So, instead of choosing one subject in college, I picked 4 subjects that I was interested in and studied them further.

Over the two year course, I found it so stressful and difficult because they're a huge step up from GCSE's(secondary school qualifications). No research into A Levels could've prepared me for how hard I was going to find them and how much work had to be put in.

Personally, I haven't had the best sixth form experience due to various complications with subjects. However, it's all over now- here's to starting the long wait for my results, enjoying my time off and having A Levels as a distant memory!



What subjects did you choose? 
In the first year I chose: Psychology, Law, Drama and Theatre Studies and English Language.

In the second I studied: Drama and Theatre Studies, English Language and Law


I'll go ahead and give you a bit of an overview of each subject in case you're thinking of considering the same ones.


Drama and Theatre Studies:
This involved studying one play in the first year and a practical performance, then in the second I read two plays and took part in one practical performance. 

If you like analysing texts and going in depth about characters, you'll enjoy the written side. For the performances, in my first year it was a scripted piece and in the second it was a creative adaptation. If you like a bit of freedom and say in how you create a performance, you'll love the practical part. 

I feel I achieved a lot in this subject, not only with my acting skills, but in my written analytical skills. If you're looking for something that you can express yourself in, whether it be acting, directing or designing, this subject may be a good idea for you.

English Language:

This was challenging for me as it was completely different to what I knew from GCSE. Saying that, I've learned so much from studying English Language and I've truly enjoyed the course. It involved learning a lot of new terminology, analytical skills and essay writing as you can imagine. I also completed two pieces of coursework in both years, one was creative writing and the other was a language investigation along with one exam in each year.

Law:

Law was different as I hadn't studied this prior to A Levels. With the enjoyment of learning new things, I found it really interesting. There's a lot of scenario reading with applying knowledge to different situations. Also, there's a lot you have to memorise so if you don't have a good memory, you might find it a struggle to learn as much as you have to. It did have its challenges but I tried my absolute best, revised a lot and asked loads of questions when I needed to.  

Psychology(First Year): 
I didn't like this subject. With the old structure of A Levels, I was able to 'drop' a subject in the second year and no longer continue studying it- this was Psychology. It definitely wasn't for me. When I started my studies, I knew that it was classed as a science but I did underrated how much science was going to be included. There was a lot to learn, which I was okay with, but what I had to learn didn't interest me in the slightest. 


Rounding up A Levels: 
All in all, it was a big achievement for me to study such difficult qualifications as there are so many skills to be learned and improved. One of the hardest things over the two years was towards the end of my second year, nearing the exam period. Being able to revise everything from a subject in time for an exam is a true skill. I found this significantly difficult because the content to be memorised was endless.


If you're considering A Levels, here are some things you may want to take into account:
  • Think carefully about the subjects you would like to study
  • Read through the course details thoroughly before choosing a subject
  • Always make notes in lessons and keep them somewhere safe-they may answer later questions when it comes to revision
  • Revise for your 'in-lesson' tests as feedback from teachers is so important
  • Ask questions whenever you're feeling stuck- the teachers are there to help
  • Make sure to know early on your revision techniques before the exam period so that you don't waste time trying out different things
  • Do practise exam questions early on and get them marked- it'll help you learn both the structure of the exam and how to answer the question
  • Don't worry if you don't know what you want to do after A Levels...I don't either!


These qualifications are supposed to be challenging, that's why they're so highly looked upon. In order to be successful, they require someone who's self-motivated with a lot of determination to get through them. However, there's tons of support available in colleges and schools now so if it's just that little push you need, you should be fine.

As I said, it's a big achievement for me to have completed my two years without giving up. With any qualification, you should be proud of yourself for getting through it and coming out the other side.

I wish everyone who took exams this year good luck for their results and future plans. 

"Study hard, do good and the good life will follow."- Unknown

Comments

Popular Posts