NYX Contour Wonder Stick Review



There will always be room for a makeup review on this blog. It's an excuse to buy a product you've been wanting to purchase for a while, then write about your experience using it! 

Can I just say, NYX are killing it at the moment as a drugstore brand and ever since Boots have stocked NYX in store, the sales must be going crazy! I absolutely love everything I own from this brand because it's not only great quality, but it's inexpensive and easy to get a hold of.

The story behind buying this product is quite simple: I really wanted to try out contouring my face, see what it looked like and just experiment with different makeup. My way around this was to buy a drugstore contour product and see whether I liked the effect or not, then buy a contour kit from a high end brand. I do this quite a lot because if it's the first time trying something out, I'd rather 'test the waters' using a drugstore alternative than splurging out on a high end product straight away in case I don't think it's for me. 

I did my research into drugstore contour kits and decided that I didn't want a powder as I don't particularly like wearing it so that narrowed it down to a cream. I saw Maybelline New York's Master Contour product but I really didn't like how both the light and dark colour were on the same stick however, I did like the concept of a stick. NYX immediately came up when I searched for one, so I took a look at the website, a few reviews and decided I would give it a go. 

I bought it from Boots and it was only £10.00 which is incredible value.

On the box, there's a little picture with a guide on where to apply the product in order to contour your face. From previous research, I knew that you contour differently on each face as everyone's shape is different and everyone wants to enhance and hide different features so I actually went by that on my own face. 

Firstly, I applied my Benefit 'That Gal' primer, then my Rimmel London Match Perfection foundation with a damp Real Techniques Miracle Complexion Sponge. Whilst waiting for that to dry, I planned on where I was going to contour my face. 

The colours are really pigmented and I was really impressed with how easy it applied. I imagined it to be quite thick to apply and difficult to move around but that wasn't the case at all. Using the highlighter on the stick, I applied this to my skin under my eyes in an upside down triangle shape to brighten my eyes and in the middle of my forehead with small line strokes so that the light could reflect.




The darker colour was a really good shade for me and as you can see on the picture, this too is very pigmented. I drew one line following under my cheek bone on both sides of my face staying two fingers away from my mouth, just underneath my jawline, the two sides of my nose in a straight line, the creases of my eyes and dots just underneath my hairline.



To blend all of this in, I used my Miracle Complexion Sponge again, first blending the highlight, then the darker shade. It looked really pretty and natural when I did this however, I would recommend putting quite a few strokes of product on where you're applying this to your face as it blends that well that it's almost invisible afterwards. I'm yet to use a brush to blend this in however, this may make a difference to how it blends so I'll be sure to try that out. 

Another tip I have for you guys is if you do buy this product, be sure to test out the colours on your hand before you buy. I bought the colour 'light' as I'm fair skinned however, some of you with darker tones to your skin would be better suited to the medium shade or even the dark. Just like with foundation, choose the colour wisely as it won't do what you want it to if it's too light or too dark. 

All in all, I was really impressed with this product and got a fair few compliments regarding how my makeup looked that day because it was something I hadn't done before.

I had this vision of sitting there for about 20 minutes trying to contour my face of a morning. I guess that was putting me off as I don't tend to spend a lot of time on makeup unless I'm going out somewhere special. But with this product, it was made so easy; it only took me 5 minutes extra with the first time using it! 

Would I recommend this product?
Definitely! Go and check it out if you're after a cheap contour product that does the job.

The product itself is small so it would fit perfectly in your handbag and makeup bag, the packaging is simple and it's such good quality. It works extremely well with the NYX dewy setting spray too- it stayed on my face all day with this! 

Buy Nyx's Wonder Stick from Boots

" 'I have too much makeup'- said no woman ever "- Unknown

Comments

Popular Posts