Starting University and a Long Distance Relationship...



I know I haven't posted on here in a while but as you can see from the title, I've been quite busy over the past few months...

So it has been almost 2 months since I moved from my hometown to Liverpool to study at University.

Honestly, it’s going great. It’s a lot different than I expected (probably because I didn’t know what I was expecting) and I’m really getting used to my new routine. Meeting new people, my subjects, studying, cooking, cleaning, washing…it’s a lot to get your head around, especially in the first couple of weeks when everything is brand new.

I'm studying a Joint Honours Degree in English Language and Drama and Theatre Studies so that's going great too. So far, there's a tonne of reading and a lot of work to be done but apart from that, I'm finding it really interesting... I definitely picked the right course for me.

On top of everything new I’ve had to learn, moving away from my family, friends and my boyfriend has proven difficult too. My Mom unfortunately isn’t just in the other room when I have a stain on my favourite top or to tell me whether something is cooked or not. Even though with mobile phones being at the forefront of everyone’s mind nowadays, a phone call just isn’t the same as human interaction... not even close.

Being 2 hours away from home, it’s not actually that far. However, for someone who has lived in the exact same house for 20 years of her life, 2 hours away is significantly different. Oliver and I thought we had came to terms with the distance that was going to be between us before I even started university but the truth is, you can’t actually put yourselves into that position until the time comes.

Moving day was hard in itself- saying goodbye, going into the unknown essentially. Nevertheless, with me staying in halls for the first year of uni, friendships started to form quickly and I found myself getting into my routine fast. Freshers week was great for getting to know my new city, making friends and drinking way too much for my liver to handle (I don't advise this). All in all, I've been doing pretty well here and I'm still enjoying it 7 weeks in.


Oliver and I have been together for almost 2 years now, so going from spending a large majority of our time together during the week and on weekends, this was a major step for us. I found the first couple of weeks the hardest but now we’re both immersed into our higher education it’s getting easier day by day.

What doesn't get easier though is saying goodbye. Seeing each other is incredible and it really does make me appreciate all of the times I took for granted when he was 5 minutes down the road from me. In a way, time goes a lot faster spent with someone when you don't see them a lot so we make every hour count.

I have to say, I never expected it to turn out this way but honestly, we've rarely argued and we get so excited to see each other when the time comes. Yes, we still speak everyday and we certainly make sure we know what's going on in our day to day lives but it's not the same as seeing someone in person, that's the special part. 

If you're thinking of applying to university and you're in a predicament, consider the pros of moving to a different place, exploring somewhere new and making good friends. University is hard work so far but it's definitely the best decision I've ever made. Not only do you get an education from the university themselves but you learn how to be independent in so many ways and make lots of new friends who eventually become your university family. 

Making a relationship long distance when it starts off the complete opposite is a challenge but it's worth 100% worth it. Bite the bullet. 

Mollie x


"What I learned in university is how little I know"- Malcolm Watts

Comments

Popular Posts